Képaláírás: In 1894 the idea was raised to erect a monument in memory of Gyula Andrássy, the first Prime Minister of Hungary in the history of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, who died four years earlier, and the Avenue which leads into this square, has already been named after him. (From 1884 on, a flag-bearing gloriette designed by Miklós Ybl had been standing on the same spot.) The competition was won by a plan of a statue against an arched colonnade, conceived by the architect Albert Schikadenz and the sculptor György Zala. This Andrássy Memorial was never realized, but the main gate entrance of the Millenary Exhibition was based on the same plan in 1896 (the gaps between the columns of the very similar quarter round colonnades were not filled with statues then). When the exhibition was closed, all of the gate was pulled down, as almost all major attractions made of using temporary materials. On the other hand, the architectural idea was used again when the two quarter colonnades and the central 30 m tall column was being erected from 1897 on and was completed as late as 1905 due to statical problems. The sculptural works under the supervision of György Zala were lasting even longer, and were finished in 1929 when all the 14 statues were placed. The Millenium Monument and the memorial stone of heroes - after which the square was named in 1932 - were inaugurated on 26th May 1929.
This is the not-so-royal southern colonnade of the memorial which changed a lot between 1905 and 1955. Actually there is only one king among the seven figures (excluding two regents, János Hunyadi and Lajos Kossuth, and four princes of Transylvania, Bocskai, Bethlen, Thököly and Rákóczi - but they were not kings like all of the the happy company of the northern colonnade). This colonnade was more "royal" in time of inauguration, but four of the originally erected statues (four Habsburg monarchs) have been removed from their place, and most of the signs and reliefs (seen as small greenish oblong squares under each statue) have been replaced after 1945. (In addition, the statue of Franz Joseph, which has been vandalized in 1919, was reconstructed in the two world wars period, and removed finally in the fifties. So despite of his double-making, he is not there today.)
Ismertető szöveg: A Hősök tere Budapest legtágasabb, legnagyobb hatású tere a XIV. kerületben, szűkebb értelemben véve a Millenniumi emlékművet jelöli. A Hősök tere az előtte fekvő Andrássy úttal együtt a Világörökség része.